31 October 2010

Halloween poem "The Story of Beth"

A few days ago you may have seen me post, in a series of consecutive Tweets, a poem that I wrote in a fit of spontaneity. Since it's officially Halloween now, at least in my time zone, I figured I'd put it all up in a single place so you can read it from top to bottom. I don't know if anyone enjoyed it, but I figure it can't hurt to put somewhere, especially since I need to get back to putting stuff on this blog regularly.

I'm not certain if there's a particular term for the format of this poem, but each line consists of seven syllables, and alternating lines rhyme in each four-line stanza. So line one rhymes with line three and line two with line four. I wouldn't really call the poem scary, but it is intended to be grim.



I have just heard a story
Of a tiny girl named Beth
Who in this tale most gory
Will draw her last tiny breath

Tiny Beth was a sweet one
A belov'd and cheerful lass
Much unlike her teacher's son
The sole sadist of their class

The small sadist's name was Jim
And a jealous boy was he
It so greatly annoyed him
To see Beth's face full of glee

Where she would skip, he would slouch
She won smiles, he got stares
'Til in shadow he did crouch
As to catch her unawares

Once out of eyeshot, Jim pounced
And snatched Beth 'fore she could shriek
Then into the woods Jim trounced
Dragging poor Beth to the creek

Naught but a big trunk and rope
Waited at the river's shore
Said Jim "Now I may have hope
I'll see your smile no more."

Jim thrust her into the chest
Before locking shut the lid
And then with very great zest
A farewell to Beth he bid

But cruel Jim was no killer:
Frightening Beth was his game
And as terror did fill her
The sadist Jim felt no shame

"I'll scare the joy out of her!"
Jim predicted with a smirk
And fatigue could not deter
Him from finishing his work

He roped the trunk to the dock
Pulling the knots oh so tight
Then made the trunk sway and rock
As he shoved with all his might

Beth screamed louder, the trunk fell
Into the roaring current
And while sweet Beth could not tell
Only twenty feet she went

With a laugh, Jim turned and ran
And with the small sadist gone
A great tragedy began
To teach others from then on

Jim's knotting was abhorrent
The river's current was strong
Powerful waves came and went
'Til one swept poor Beth along

Beth's screams and wails ripped the air
Even muffled by the wood
But none were around to care
And save her? Nobody could

When finally Beth was found
She was, in plain English, dead
To Heaven her soul was bound
Though not with her tiny head

For poor sweet Beth did not drown
The trunk did not sink but crashed
And with her trunk broken down
'Gainst a rock Beth's body smashed

No comments:

Post a Comment